[Imports] York County, Va imports

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Fri Aug 28 17:06:57 UTC 2015

On 8/28/2015 10:26 AM, Eric Ladner wrote:
> At least include the email from them directly instead of just a quote
> from the email.  I'm not an expert in licensing issues, tho.  Others
> may chime in.
>
> Understand about the address points.  Sometimes you have to just deal
> with what you've got.
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM Jonah Adkins <jonahadkins at gmail.com
> <mailto:jonahadkins at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     thanks, eric.
>
>     are you saying i need to get something more than the email i have
>     explicitly stating that i can import this data into OSM?

I just did some quick googling and the state of Virginia appears to have
liberal open records laws. All government data produced in the state of
Virginia should be public domain, unless specifically exempted by the
public records statute. So if there is no exemption for spatial data, no
additional permissions are needed. You may want to dive a little deeper
into the statute to double check. Also another indication that there is
a green-light on licensing is take a look at http://openaddresses.io/ --
if data is there for your particular state, it should be fine.

some links:
http://www.vita.virginia.gov/about/default.aspx?id=311
https://www.lva.virginia.gov/agencies/records/documents/Vpra.pdf
http://www.opengovva.org/foia/current-law