[Imports] Uganda Bureau of Statistics educational facilities import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 01:05:36 UTC 2015

Hi, Frederik:

On 29/12/15 22:09, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/29/2015 08:39 PM, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:
>> it would
>> be done manually through the HOT Tasking Manager, in a similar way as
>> with the Central African Rep. UNICEF data import (2012)
>
> Your import is about an order of magnitude bigger than the CAR imports
> you are mentioning. Is there reason to believe that a sufficient number
> of people are going to participate to make this work?

Well. In fact it is nearer to two orders of magnitude bigger than CAR
imports (the biggest set of CAR UNICEF were around 1,700+ (WASH)).

It is a really big number (24,587 nodes to be exact). I understand your
worries. The biggest I remember done in a similar way (manually with the
Tasking Manager) was 14,020 place nodes for Liberia [1], and I remember
you had your concerns about having enough volunteers to accomplish the
job [2]. The job was done in about 1 month by (mainly) only three
volunteers (you can check the Stats for that job). One of those
volunteers was me.

This one is 24,000+. If pace, number of volunteers and type of import
were exactly the same, it would mean not more than 2 months job. But I
expect there will be enough volunteers who will join. I am specially
interested in local mappers to join, and at least one has already shown
interest.

It's important to note here that, bearing in mind that the number is
really high, we aren't asking mappers to do anything else except
importing nodes. There is an important difference with the import of
Liberia places, and it is that most of nodes don't have to be merged
with existing OSM educational facilities. In the Liberia job, we had to
merge with thousands of place nodes from the GNS and old US Topo maps
already present.

>> The import has been communicated to the Uganda OSM community
>
> Can you summarize their reaction for us? How big is the Uganda OSM
> community, and is there reason to hope that people will be available to
> handle the import in their local region (fsvo "local"), or is it more
> likely that the import will be essentially driven by well-meaning
> helpers who have never been to Uganda?

I contacted the UG OSM community with an email to the talk-ug mailing
list (which I am subscribed to), but no answer:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ug/2015-December/000069.html
It is unfortunately quite common for tiny communities.

I don't see any restriction on mapping remotely, even in areas where one
haven't been before. Another matter are the opinions about that, and
there are for all tastes. But I can't see anything in that respect that
goes against the import guidelines.

Cheers,

Rafael.

> Bye