[Imports] Importing official Buildings/Addresses in Louisville KY

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Feb 12 02:07:39 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> On 2/10/2015 1:00 PM, Michael Schnuerle wrote:
>
>> For updatability, we will be adding a unique ID that comes from the
>> source data and will remain the same in updates. But really any other
>> updated data will be imported using this same method: creating a Task and
>> dividing it out into chunks to manually compare and validate using our
>> local volunteers.
>>
> If you're planning to not use the unique ID from the source, why are you
> importing it?

I encourage you to import the unique ID.
Having done conflation, it's handy to have that ID as part of the match for
future conflation and data updates.
You should design conflation so that if the ID is wrong that causes no big
hassle, as it's always possible
a hand mapper will damage or delete the stored ID.

When tracking down a problem, the ID can become a huge time saver.

The ID could be stored in a ref= tag.  I've also used source:pkey= for that
ID.