[Imports] Importing names of homeowners : Nepal Red Cross

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:19:20 UTC 2015

I also have high privacy doubts on in. Before, I've had several people
wondering whether adding housenumbers wasn't violating privacy.

People often agree to be included in the phonebook, because an address
doesn't do any harm. And purely binding an address to a building outline
doesn't do any harm to privacy either, as it isn't about personal data. But
when combined, it's possible to link names to building sizes and locations,
and thus indirectly to wealth.

However, in my case, the problem is more with the phonebook makers, as
that's the book that actually handles personal data. And people still have
the right to opt-out (in fact, the phonebooks are opt-in for the first
inclusion).

In the example in Nepal, I also have serious doubts about the legality of
it: What's the Indian law,? Does the European law apply? (the database is
spread in Europe after all, and OSMF is a European organisation).

If it's a government keeping census data, they should switch to an
addressing system, and keep their census data as their own database
(linking persons tot addresses). Then they can still use OSM to go from
address to location, so they don't need their own GIS.

Next to the privacy issue, there's also the issue about data that will be
outdated soon. But that's less important IMO

Regards,
Sander