[Imports] Importing bus stops from NaPTAN

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 14:17:17 UTC 2015

> I'll look into creating a page on the wiki with my import procedure. It
> should be noted that part of the NaPTAN data has already been imported, just
> not for the area that I'm working in.
>
> NaPTAN is the official list of all bus stops (amongst other things) in the
> UK, and is continuously updated. It's accuracy is pretty good overall (at
> least in the stops I'm looking at importing).
>
> I would say the quality is about equal to what we have in OSM already, with
> the added benefit that it actually contains all the stops. OSM is missing so
> many stops, I can't really import the bus routes without adding them all.

In my experience the geolocation is rather variable, as the previous
commenter suggested. When manually editing in the UK, quite a few
times I've been unsure whether a bus stop is missing or whether it's
actually meant to be represented by the naptan node some distance
away, so manual conflation can be tricky and I tend to avoid
conflating naptan entries that I suspect are duplicated with other
entries. Accuracy "about equal to" OSM, I'd say that's unlikely.

Best
Dan