[Imports] Import of coastlines for Greenland

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Jul 29 01:24:10 UTC 2015

On 7/28/2015 12:10 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> - east coast is mostly GADM based
I had a look at this, since GADM is under a license that does not permit
redistribution or commercial use, so it cannot be used in OSM, except in
some countries where special permission was obtained[1].

Fortunately, the data appears to be VMAP0. This puts the age at at
probably 20-25 years minimum, potentially much more if VMAP0 was based
on earlier data. I couldn't find a source for VMAP0 accuracy, but VMAP1
is better at 125-500m. Sampling some areas, errors >1km are not a problem.

In areas where there is unimproved VMAP0 data, data produced by an
automated classification should be superior if it has not been
misclassified (shadows, etc). Where the data has been edited, manual
review would be needed.

If there is an area that is using the country border from GADM as the
coastline, can you send me info off-list?

[1]:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#GADM_.28Global_Administrative_Areas.29