[Imports] Import of Placename Database of Ireland

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Jun 4 13:36:09 UTC 2015

Hi Greg,

On 04/06/15 14:15, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Generally there are objections to adding the ref tag.  Basically the
> notion is that you have to deal with the hard part of conflation when
> you don't have it, so you might as well skip it.

I'd like to add the "logainm:ref" tag, not the "ref" tag. It would a
string of numbers, and is "The reference of this object according to the
Logainm database". (I'm open to suggestions for a better tag. "logainm:id"?)

> One of the issues we are having in the US is the difference between
> "place name", which is a name to refer to a particular geographic area,
> which might or might not have a relationship to an legal entity with an
> administrative boundary, and names for official cities/towns.
>
> So, are the names in this database legal entity names and have
> associated polygons, or are they points for locations that people would
> use names to describe, or something else?

The OSM objects I want to add tags to are administrative polygons in
OSM, and legally defined administrative areas (some historical and not
in use anymore), not fuzzy place names. The Logainm database has one
point for each object (rather than full polygons), we'll use that to aid
finding the corresponding OSM object (along with the name and
hierarchy), but we can't/won't import the Logainm geometry.

> In general, I had a hard time reading the wiki page and understanding
> precisely what it is you actually want to do.  I certainly get the
> larger point and don't have an issue with it - it's that I don't know if
> the source is nodes or polygons, how the place name/legal entity name
> issue works, and whether you will be conflating nodes with polygons, or
> polygons with polygons, etc.

As well as official_name:*'s, we can add "name:ga", Irish names. The
current townland/barony/ED/civil parish mapping project only really has
access to the English names of these boundaries. Ireland is legally
bilingual (Irish & English). The Placenames Database of Ireland is a
government agency that decides the official (Irish) place names of
things (as well as partially a historical research goal). By importing
this data we would have Irish names for many Irish administrative
boundaries.

> It would help to link to an extract of the database in some readable
> format, and the output of your code to e.g. have an .osc file, or
> something, for some small area.

Sure, I'll whip something up.

Rory