[Imports] eHealth Africa Borno Smaller Settlements Import and Road Editing

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 18 21:48:09 UTC 2015

Rafael,

   I have no opinion on your planned import - it sounds like robust
planning but I haven't reviewed in detail.

A general issue I have with HOT-driven imports is that sometimes, data
will be quickly imported by non-local people and then considered
complete and done, and the data won't be checked or kept current by
anyone because the next activation is already going on elsewhere. I
think that any import you perform also creates an obligation to keep
the data current, or at least make sure that someone does. This is not
an official requirement though, it's just something I occasionally see.

I would like to comment on your initial two paragraphs though:

On 03/18/2015 07:30 PM, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:
> Northeast Nigeria has been affected for years now by a complex
> humanitarian crisis

[...]

> Baseline data (places, residential areas, administrative
> boundaries and buildings as well as road networks) over this large
> affected region are needed

[...]

As harsh as it sounds, but whether or not there's a humanitarian
crisis, and whether or not data is needed, should never be factors
that decide whether an import is good to go or not.

Either you can show that your planned import fulfils the high demands
that we rightly have, or you can't; a humanitarian crisis doesn't make
a bad import good. And if data "is needed", it can still be mixed with
OSM specially for actors in the field, on special tile servers, with
special data sources - so that's not a compelling reason for an import
either.

I know you only mentioned these things as a background and it's good
that you did, and as I said I am not voicing an opinion on this
particular import; I just wanted to make crystal clear that a HOT data
import has to jump through the exact same hoops as any other import.

Bye
Frederik

- --