[Imports] eHealth Africa Borno Smaller Settlements Import and Road Editing

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 19:42:59 UTC 2015

Hi, Bryce:

Thanks for sharing. My comments inline.

On 19/03/15 19:34, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> I think the concerns are:
>
> 1) Will each mapper use the same keys, and if they misspell
> something, will that be caught?

All users will use the same keys.

They will be presented with 4 keys:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_Borno_eHealth_Africa_Smaller_Settlements#Tagging_Plans

Of those tags, they will:

a) Change the place=* tag for each node in each task of the TM project
according to the size of the settlement against aerial imagery:
place=hamlet, place=village, place=isolated_dwelling, place=neighbourhood

b) Delete the fixme tag for each node.

c) They aren't going to misspell anything. They are only adviced to
check the spelling to put all nouns with the first letter capital, if
it is not yet like that (almost all are already ok).

> 2) How will future updates be "conflated" or brought into OSM?

I don't know. And we don't need to know. There isn't any request for
this when importing data. But as Frederik said, and I agree, when
importing data is a good idea that data will somewhat be kept updated
in the future. I only say that eHealth Africa is updating their data
constantly, so it's possible that we could make future imports that
add new settlement nodes, and modify/correct some of the already
imported nodes. How this import would be done for the case of
settlement nodes, it's not something I can answer now, but it's
irrelevant for what we are discussing. Maybe it could be done using a
similar manual import through the TM, or a semiautomatic one, or
other. But in case me or you or whoever would like to do that import
in the future, we would discuss it here in the imports list. I am sure
that everyone here wants to do any import with sufficient guarantees
and professionality. And that's why I ask for feedback.

> 3) Will duplicates be caught (data already in OSM)?

Already answered. That would be a matter of another different import,
not this one.

> 4) What tags and values, specifically, will be part of this
> import.

Already explained, but schematically:

name=*
place=*
source=ehealthafrica.org

And the changeset tags:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_Borno_eHealth_Africa_Smaller_Settlements#Changeset_Tags

> Past HOT type imports have brought huge quantities of keys that
> were badly spelled, fragile, quickly out of date, and not
> actionable or useful.

there have been many imports of HOT. I only organized/was responsible
of a part of them. Could you give me an example, what keys were low
quality/out of date/not useful, and why?

I can only be accountable for HOT imports that I organized, not of
imports I am not.

Cheers,

Rafael.

- --