[Imports] Proposed import: Cupertino, California

Eric Jiang eric at doublemap.com
Fri Oct 16 19:00:02 UTC 2015

Thanks for taking a look, Frederik.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 11:16 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Do you have the manpower to do 2 and 3, or is there a danger of these
> steps being reduced to cursory glances ("it can still be fixed later")?
> I would recommend to not import anything suspicious in the first place
> because that will drastically reduce the incentive to survey ;)

I expect the import to take a while, since it'd be in my spare time. I
will reach out to some local mappers and see if I can find some help
with the import as well. I will clarify the steps to say that
suspicious data will not be imported until it can be confirmed.

> Regarding the data, it looks ok so far (not everyone may be prepared to
> run your code to see what it does - perhaps provide a "compiled" OSM
> file for review?). I would suggest to not add building=yes to inner
> rings of building relations. Also the source data seems to contain
> information about the height of the buildings, and I'm pretty sure the
> OSM 3D crowd would much appreciate if that were imported too.

Good catch - the building=yes tag on inner ways is a bug I need to fix
in the processing steps.

I am not sure about how complete the height information is. For many
buildings, it just indicates zero, but I can spot check a few
buildings and see if they might be useful.

> Some houses, e.g. 20425 Via Paviso, look really skewed (just as if I had
> traced them manually and then forgot to let the editor make it square).
> Some are a bit over-noded IMHO, like 21102 Tamarind Court. It seems that
> the more nodes a footprint has, the more likely it is to be a little
> dodgy - perhaps manual verification should be concentrated on these
> larger things.

Thanks, I will give these extra attention.

--
Eric Jiang, DoubleMap
Suite 401 | 429 N. Pennsylvania Street | Indianapolis, IN 46204