[Imports] Looking for POI datasets

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 06:35:12 UTC 2015

> Sander,
>
> Cool idea! I have a number of datasets in mind, but the two most foremost
> are ones created by local governments to inventory all their facilities
> (schools, police stations, fire depts). A lot of that gets added to the map
> already, so it could provide for some good QC.
>
> If the DB gets split per feature type, that would be nice datasets to add.

> The other is a gov't maintained POI dataset used in 911 dispatch (when a
> caller doesn't know the address of the POI they're in). I would one day
> like to do some kind of ETL to get some of that in OSM, but I also like to
> survey these things.
>
> That's what the tool is meant for, I hope it gains some popularity, and
people use it to map in their area (or in an area they surveyed).

> Let me know if you want them to test.
>
> Elliott

Sure, I would like to test these.

> Hi Sander,
>
> Am 2015-10-21 um 16:56 schrieb Sander Deryckere:
> > I'm developing a tool called POI Importer (
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/POI_Importer ). It's a combination
> of QA
> > and community-powered import.
> >
> > The aim is that different databases of POIs will be uploaded to the tool,
> > then the tool will compare it with the existing OSM data, and allows
> users
> > to import the POI one by one in their area.
> >
> > I tried to combine the following:
> >
> >    - Local verification: by showing the points on a map (instead of
> picking
> >    a random one like maproulette), the users will most likely stay close
> >    the area they know well, which lowers the chance of copying errors.
> >    - Support for multiple tags at once: many POI datasets contain
> multiple
> >    tags. Think about name, operator, opening hours, contact info, ...
> Some of
> >    that data might be already in OSM, some not.
> >    - Data is easy to update: The comparison with OSM happens live (thanks
> >    to Overpass API), so it's just a matter of updating the 3rd party
> data when
> >    there's a new dataset available
>
> Your tool is similar (but different) to the POIchecker by Sozialhelden
> (the organization behind Wheelmap)
> https://github.com/sozialhelden/poichecker
> http://poichecker.de/
>
> The aim does look very similar, but I have a feeling that POIchecker is a
bit harder to use (I don't really see how to use the app, but then I'm also
the most biased person in here).

> > So far, I've been developing with the dataset of our PT bus company (see
> > http://poi-importer.github.io/#map=14/50.9343/4.0518&datasets=BE_dl )
> this
> > data is rather dense, which was ideal to test the speed.
> >
> > Now I'm looking to find other datasets. Thinking of big chains with a
> > number of shop locations, or certain umbrella groups representing a
> number
> > of small enterprises. These companies will usually have no (or fewer)
> > problems with giving that data away for free (it's free publicity for
> > them). So I think we should be able to find some usable databases.
> >
> > Does anyone currently have POI datasets that could be used?
>
> You might Sozialhelden if they have some data for private testing. You
> may also ask the people which proposed and performed an Aral import in
> Germany a few months ago. (You might use the OSM data before the import,
> otherwise your test may end with too much good results)
>
> I'll look into that. The Aral import indeed also looks promising.

> What about a look in at an open-data website of a town/country of your
> choice? They also have data which is mapped at OSM.

Hehe, our towns don't do open-data (they might provide data, but never give
a license, so all IP rights are implied). Besides, our towns are quite
small, so their datasets are small. It's easier to work with bigger
datasets that have many POI in a standardised format. Our region (Flanders)
does have an open dataset with all private businesses (at least they call
it so), but their license requires registration to use the data (so also
forbids sharing). That doesn't really help us any further.

The agencies responsible for GIS do realise the importance of an open
license, and are opening multiple datasets for us now (they have opened a
database with all addresses, and will open a bigger database with building
and street areas in 2016). But they don't keep records about any private
organisations (like shops, restaurants, ...), which are also very
interesting for OSM.

> Best regards
>
> Michael

Regards,