[Imports] Jakarta, Indonesia admin_level 5 to 9 boundaries import

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Dec 10 15:41:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 12/14/2015 09:53 AM, Ivan Garcia wrote:
> Hi everybody, as I announced last month
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/capiscuas/diary/36306
>
> I finished successfuly the cleanup and conversion(to boundary
> relations) all the administrative limits in the Jakarta province that
> was previously in OSM.

I just looked at an old changeset from a year ago,

http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/36196221

and found that you have imported a large number of very small admin
boundaries like this one

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5799515

with an admin_level of "8" which is normally used for city-level
boundaries (i.e. *one* admin_level 8 boundary around a city).

You seem to have used admin_level 8 for many, many areas in Jakarta that
comprise just a few buildings.

Among other issues, this leads to a rather "pock-marked" look of Jakarta
on the map

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/-6.2114/106.8934

I see on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative that in
Indonesia admin_level 6 is used for cities and admin_level 8 for
"Village (Kelurahan / Desa)".

I wonder if this is a good idea that has received some thought from the
Indonesian community, or if it is perhaps just a historic oddity that
should be aligned with how the rest of the world seems to map.

But even if we accept that slightly uncommon unuse of admin_level tags,
it appears that your import might be in violation of that admin_level
documentation. The very small admin_level 8 areas I mentioned above seem
to have names like "RW02". The admin_level documentation for Indonesia
says that admin_level 8 is for "Kelurahan/Desa" and admin_level 9 is for
"Community Group (Rukun Warga)". The name "RW02" seems to point to such
a "Rukun Warga", and hence the object in question - and all the other,
similar objects - should perhaps have received an admin_level=9 tag.

Could you shed some light on this? Did you accidentally introduce an
off-by-1 error in your choice of admin_level?

Bye
Frederik