[Imports] Sitka, AK, USA buildings import

Joshua Houston joshuahouston at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 02:00:05 UTC 2016

Hi thank you for your replies,

MainStreetGIS hosts the City's data and updates parcel data as the city
sends them sub-divides, plats and address records. The 2012 aerial (the one
I've referenced) is not a MainStreetGIS product, it is owned by the City
and paid for by public funds. The building footprints were also not created
by MainStreetGIS,  they were created by me, a City employee.

The City has approved sharing data via the State's Department of Geological
and Geophysical Surveys. It is where you can find LiDAR information and
many aerials that the city owns.
http://dggs.alaska.gov/file_transfer/CityOfSitka_data/

I work in Public Works department. Many times the public will ask me for
imagery and I'm allowed to give it to them. The city engineer always says
the aerials were paid for with public funds so they are available to the
public. We just don't have a data portal to make them publicly downloadable
because there isn't a real benefit we see for doing that.

Thanks I hope this helps