[Imports] Bulk Import of Address Range in GTHA from Metrolinx

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Feb 4 23:15:49 UTC 2016

On 2/2/2016 6:52 AM, Mojgan Jadidi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I did big mistake, about a month ago we approached OSM-Toronto
> community to share our plan of import address range data on OSM from
> StatCan source. here is our import plan:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Triplinx_Metrolinx_Import_Plan

The license linked is not the OGL Canada license
(http://open.canada.ca/en/open-government-licence-canada). We can use
information because the federal government has explicitly said that it
is compatible with ODbL and CC BY.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/reference/licence-eng is substantially
different, and I see one big problem which makes a more detailed
analysis pointless

"[you shall] not merge or link the Information with any other databases
for the purpose of attempting to identify an individual person, business
or organization"

The ODbL and other open data licenses cannot discriminate against field
of endeavor. In fact, I regularly use OSM to identify businesses when
all I have is an address, or addresses when all I have is a location.

Do you think there is any chance of getting Statistics Canada to use a
standard open data license (e.g. CC0 or PDDL), or failing that, at least
one recognized by opendefinition.org such as OGL Canada?