[Imports] Uganda Bureau of Statistics educational facilities import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 22:57:01 UTC 2016

Hi, Jo:

On 01/01/16 20:34, Jo wrote:
> OK, I grabbed the shape file and converted it myself. I didn't convert
> the all caps nor the abbreviations, so it's not usable this way.
>
> Then I looked at the data, universities first.
>
> There are 12 of them, which I added, converting the all caps manually.
> Some were already present, so they could be conflate with the extra
> data. I kept them as nodes. Drawing the buildings where this wasn't done
> yet. I didn't move the tags to the buildings, not sure if that's all right.

Did you actually upload those 12 nodes? If yes, as the import didn't
start and some things can still change, we should re-check them when we
start, so they keep the same tagging as the final "approved" one. And
also delete them from the final osm file that will go to the TM project.

> Then I looked at the nursery schools. It's true that it''s unlikely they
> can be recognized from aerial imagery.
>
> The primary and secondary schools are quite recognizable though. I
> sampled about 200.

Yes. And my sample gave the same possitive results as yours.

> We should exclude the schools in advance in the areas where we know
> imagery to be bad.

I am not sure about this. Bearing in mind that most of nodes are
correct, and that checking nodes in lowres areas against OSM nodes give
the same good results (most of them are correct), I would import them,
leaving a fixme tag telling that couldn't be double checked due to
lowres imagery, or cloudy imagery.

> If the importers are disciplined enough to skip the schools for which
> it's not possible to determine to which buildings they belong, I don't
> see why we wouldn't go ahead with this import.
>
> There is also the possibility to involve those schools into the project
> and ask them to put their school on the map themselves. That involves a
> bit more effort to figure out contact details though... and follow up
> with them, if they have questions or run into trouble.

Yes. Involving schools would be difficult for many reasons: difficulty
to contact them, specially in remote areas; need of internet and
computers; need to actually explain them how to do it. I would love
that, but I see it really challenging. Maybe the local community could
assist on that.

Cheers,

Rafael.