[Imports] Thimphu City data import
chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Jul 7 13:40:10 UTC 2016
On Saturday 02 July 2016, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:
> As there isn't any local OSM community yet, we contacted the HOT
> mailing list for opinions.
This statement astonishes me - if there is no organized local community
but obviously locally made mapping you should try and contact mappers
active in the area for their opinion.
Note also Bhutan is a fairly popular tourist destination and there is
likely quite a bit of local mapping done by visitors. Even if you are
not able to contact any native local mappers for their opinion you can
certainly try to get in touch with people who have mapped in country
there and who might be able to make a more competent assessment if such
import makes sense or not.
Based on a quick look:
- you seem to have among 13610 buildings 1531+2579 obvious errors. This
indicates poor quality original data and without any possibility for
ground verification i think this disqualifies the data from being
imported in OSM.
- you seem to intend running Douglas-Peucker on roads but do not provide
any explanation as to why you think this is a good idea, let alone any
assessment if the results meet any kind of quality criterion.
- The road data lacks any highway tags and largely lacks proper
connectivity between road segments.
- The house numbers are obviously not unique city-wide but you don't
have any tag except addr:housenumber on the address nodes.
So in short apparently:
- you have not contacted anyone who has mapped in Bhutan locally
- you have no idea on the local road tagging practice
- you have no knowledge of the local address system
- you have no idea of the existing data in OSM in the area
yet you want to import data there.
Maybe it would be a good idea to have that group of Kathmandu Living
Labs who are going to work with the local people to find out what is
necessary to make a proper assessment of the data as part of this work,
discuss the import possibility with the locals and then - if the
reaction is positive - manage the import with a solid knowledge of the
As it is i can only say i disapprove of this import plan.
More information about the Imports