[Imports] WiFi Hotspots in SA

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Thu Jul 7 22:39:16 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

Am 06.07.2016 um 11:34 schrieb Michael Graaf:
> I write on behalf of a team preparing to create an app (free as in beer as
> well as in speech) which will help users find WiFi hotspots and also review
> them or report new ones. We already have some data-sets which appear to be
> public-domain, but these things keep changing hence our intention to have
> real-time crowdsourcing.

OSM is the wrong place to store opinions and other subjective content.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Verifiability

> Initially we thought of using both Google Maps and OSM but on closer
> investigation, discovered that above a minimal level of use, Google API
> costs some dollars, so we discarded that idea.

If you just want to display your wifi data on an OpenStreetMap-based
basemap (there are various tile service providers), you do not have to
"import" them into OSM. You can store your wifi data at your own
database which has at least following advantages:

- You do not have to care what OSM community thinks about your data.
(OSM community is free at every time to delete your data)
- You do not have to care how your users behave and edit OSM. (Writing
an OSM editor for newbies is a very likely way to receive a shitstorm ;-))

There are various frameworks to put overlays over a web map. Leaflet and
OpenLayers are the most famous ones if you want to do this on a website.
(At Google you would call Leaflet/OpenLayers "API")

Best regards

Michael