[Imports] Calgary addresses

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 23:56:33 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Before we get into the technicalities, I believe there might be a slight
> problem on the legal side.
>
> OSM data is distributed under the ODbL 1.0 license which does not
> discriminate against any fields of endeavour, including such that are
> against the law.
>
> Your license however says that:
>
> "You may use the Data to create Derivative Works using the Data and
> distribute said Derivative Works for any lawful purposes."

This argument is, to put it bluntly, silly. In Common Law countries,
this is a difference without a distinction. An contract to break the
law is void as a matter of public policy. There is no enforceable
difference between a license 'for any lawful purpose' and a license
'for any purpose whatsoever,' because the licensor cannot grant
permission to break the law.