[Imports] Calgary addresses

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:20:41 UTC 2016

On 19/07/2016 00:56, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>> Your license however says that:
>>
>> "You may use the Data to create Derivative Works using the Data and
>> distribute said Derivative Works for any lawful purposes."
> This argument is, to put it bluntly, silly. In Common Law countries,
> this is a difference without a distinction. An contract to break the
> law is void as a matter of public policy. There is no enforceable
> difference between a license 'for any lawful purpose' and a license
> 'for any purpose whatsoever,' because the licensor cannot grant
> permission to break the law.

It's not, of course, the first time that this sort of clause has had to
be considered - see for example
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSLint#License , further discussed at
http://dev.hasenj.org/post/3272592502/ibm-and-its-minions#_=_ .

However "silly" the clause is it's still what is written, and if it's
not appropriate for OSM, then some other accommodation needs to be
found, perhaps along the lines of that described for above - “I give
permission for IBM, its customers, partners, and minions, to use JSLint
for evil.”.

Best Regards,

Andy