[Imports] Data import from WRI Forest Atlas of Cameroon

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Jul 26 18:12:38 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 26 July 2016, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:

> That license Joachim is referring to, is a license we have used many
> times in the past, for many imports. There has never been any concern
> about the validity of it.

That does not mean anything.  And of course there is no reason for
concern for the OSMF.  Neither is there for any agent of the owner of
the data performing import work as part of his/her job.  The
independent mapper processing the data however, like making fixes,
doing tag conversion etc. before adding the data to the OSM database
has no legal basis for this work.

Side note: If I was a donator for any of the organizations supporting
such work i'd insist on a regulation requiring all results of supported
work to be made available under an open license.  Making available data
publicly but not specifying any license or terms of use indicates a
lack of awareness of the matter which is not good.  It also makes you
wonder how diligent they have been regarding sources they used for
producing that data...

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/