[Imports] Data import from WRI Forest Atlas of Cameroon

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:48:05 UTC 2016

Hi, Christoff:

On 26/07/16 20:12, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 July 2016, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:
>>
>> That license Joachim is referring to, is a license we have used many
>> times in the past, for many imports. There has never been any concern
>> about the validity of it.
>
> That does not mean anything.

Well. The license template we are talking about [1] is the one the
imports guidelines wiki refers to in Step 3 - License Approval [2].
Unless the Imports Guidelines wiki doesn't mean anything to you either.
I don't know.

This is what has happened many times until now: people read the imports
guidelines, follow it, get permission using the templates and then
proceed to discuss with local OSM and imports, etc. I recall that I have
never seen any concern about those templates, and they have been used
since years for many different orgs data releases and imports.

>  And of course there is no reason for
> concern for the OSMF.  Neither is there for any agent of the owner of
> the data performing import work as part of his/her job.  The
> independent mapper processing the data however, like making fixes,
> doing tag conversion etc. before adding the data to the OSM database
> has no legal basis for this work.
>
> Side note: If I was a donator for any of the organizations supporting
> such work i'd insist on a regulation requiring all results of supported
> work to be made available under an open license.  Making available data
> publicly but not specifying any license or terms of use indicates a
> lack of awareness of the matter which is not good.  It also makes you
> wonder how diligent they have been regarding sources they used for
> producing that data...

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/GettingPermission