[Imports] Miami-Dade County building import

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 20:38:45 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> I agree. We do have spatial database. I tend to add city only because
> sometime the addresses fall outside of the city boundary but use the city
> name.

Many locations have postal addresses in a neighbouring city, and addr:city
should certainly be supplied if deducing it from city limits will give the
wrong answer.

>  Not only is the mail addressed as NE instead of Northeast but street
> signs use NE. However, the consensus in the community is that addresses
> should be spelled out. The reason is that software can easily abbreviate a
> name but has a hard time unabbreviating a name.

Moreover. abbreviations are ambiguous and can confuse voice synthesis
programs. I've had a program direct me on to "New York State Highway 9
North South" (actually NY-9N South - the letter N is part of the highway
number), and even onto "Highway 9 Newtons" or "Highway 30 Amperes" (9N and
30A, respectively). There's a street not too far from here named, "Letter
S". I've corrected it in OSM several times, reverting the changes of bots
that insist on making it "Letter South". There's the infamous "Street
Andrew's Lane" (St. Andrew's).