[Imports] Boston, MA, USA addr:housenumber Import

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Mar 15 20:40:14 UTC 2016

Glad to see someone adding more addresses to OSM.

I have some questions/comments for you.

1.) Automatically updating the street name to match the address records is
not advisable. My experience doing address imports, the address information
may not match the street signs. There may be two different departments
responsible for the information, accessor and highway/street department.

2.) Is there addr:city and addr:postcode information available to add with
the import?

3) Just looking at one neighborhood, Allston-Brighton, the .osc contains
building=yes. Does that mean if a building outline is tagged
building=residential or any other building tag it will be retagged
building=yes?

4) Is it really necessary to upload that many notes during the import? if a
building is missing, can you add a node with the address information
instead of leaving a note?

Clifford

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Roman Yepishev <rye at keypressure.com> wrote:

> (re-posting to both mailing lists since I failed to subscribe to
> imports@ before sending)
>
> Hello OpenStreetMap folks,
>
> TL;DR: import wiki page: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Bos
> ton_Street_Address_Management_%28SAM%29_Import
>
> Boston, Massachusetts is relatively well mapped, however the buildings
> usually lack addr:housenumber and addr:street tags.
>
> Since the city is not built on a grid-based design, the streets can
> wander around making finding the right house with OpenStreetMap a
> challenge. City of Boston provides a sizable amount of data via Open
> Government initiative. One of the things available freely is a Live
> Street Address Management (SAM) dataset[1] that identifies the location
> of the buildings on the map. We can use that.
>
> As requested by Guidelines[2], I am writing to imports@ and talk-us@ to
> discuss the outlined import procedure for the data. I will be driving
> the generation, upload, and validation.
>
> The wiki page contains the data on all the neighborhoods (sans 2 that
> for some reason did not create a polygon - I'm investigating that), so
> you can load it locally and see what's going to happen. Please do not
> upload these changes.
>
> My username is 'ryebread' on OSM, User:Rye on OSM Wiki.
>
> [1]: http://www.cityofboston.gov/open/
> [2]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines
>
> --
> Sincerely,