[Imports] [Imports-us] Proposal to replace inaccurate Everglades Agricultural Area data

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Mon Mar 21 15:15:37 UTC 2016

Hi Elliott,

I agree the EAA boundary should be updated. I'm not sure it should be an
import. Another option is to improve the accuracy of the existing data.
The big question may be what is the best way to represent the EAA? One
big boundary or a relation?

Florida Statute 373.4592 [1] defines the EAA area and talks about
permitting by the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD), but I
I'm not sure what else - its a pretty long read. As I understand it, the
EAA defines the agricultural area where farming takes place, but as a
whole its not a protected area. There are conservation lands within it,
e.g. SFWMD owned lands. Those are the areas that should get conservation
related tags.

The water quality situation surrounding Lake Okeechobee and the
Everglades is a huge problem. Its been getting a lot of press recently
because of the massive quantities of water being released from Lake
Okeechobee into the St Lucie River on the east coast and Caloosahatchee
River on the west coast. I happen to live near the St Lucie River and
see the nasty water firsthand.

I've been wondering what the OSM community could do to help tell the
story of this problem. Everybody needs maps to help understand the
situation. Great maps are hard to come by. It seems like maps are either
too basic or too issue specific. I think if we could get some of the
most needed map features into OSM that people need to see to understand
and help propose solutions that could be beneficial to people in this
area. The first step is an accurate base map that includes accurate
administrative boundaries. And then detailed land use / land cover may
be a big one to follow. The SFWMD has a detailed landuse / land cover
data set available.

Brian

[1]
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0373/Sections/0373.4592.html