[Imports] RFC: San Francisco building import (San Francisco, California, USA)

Brandon Liu bdon at bdon.org
Fri May 20 14:39:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

We are proposing an import of the CC0-licensed building height data
for San Francisco [0].

This import will not add new buildings - instead, we're conflating the
available LIDAR height data with existing OSM building footprints. The
data was collected in 2011 and covers the city/county of San
Francisco. 161,473 OSM buildings have heights that can be derived from
LIDAR.

This import is low-impact - the only changes being made are adding a
height tag to buildings that don't have one yet. We have a working
process and task manager set up, and would now like the community to
review our plan. We've contacted the local OSM user group [1] as well.

We've set up a public chat channel on Gitter to discuss the import [2].

This has been cross-posted to talk-us@, imports-us@ and imports at .

Thank you,

Brandon Liu, github.com/bdon
Alan McConchie, github.com/almccon