[Imports] Regione Veneto house numbers import

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 23 18:53:49 UTC 2016

Dear Davide,

On 11/23/2016 06:57 PM, Davide Sandona' wrote:
> I will soon start a regional house numbers import.

Your wiki page contains information about a mechanical edit that
attempts to automatically align OSM street names with official data.

Is this mechanical edit part of your planned import as well?

It says that "each entry of the dictionary is manually checked to
correct any association issues" - who will perform this manual check,
and how will it be done? If OSM says the street name is A and the script
says it looks like street B from the municipal data, who will actually
go out and look at the street sign? Or will you automatically assume
that the municipal data is always right?

As for the execution of the import, I would strongly suggest that you
look for local mappers living in the cities involved and enlist their
help in uploading data in their region, doing a sanity check by
comparing things to their knowledge or aerial imagery. Under no
circumstances should you personally, or any other single person, upload
data for all the cities - this will mean that the person cannot take the
necessary time to quality-check the data they are planning to upload.

Bye
Frederik