[Imports] [Talk-ca] [Import] Ottawa Buildings & Addresses [Statistics Canada project]

James james2432 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 20:59:07 UTC 2016

Ok, Christoph now that I am at a proper computer I can address your
comments:

*- no link to the source data*

Have you read the background or just skimmed over it? There is a debate
from StatsCan and the City of Ottawa where the building footprints should
be hosted(Ottawa open data portal, StatsCan website, Federal Goverment open
data portal) so until then it will not be available to the public. The
address data file IS available here:
http://data.ottawa.ca/dataset/addresspoints Which I will add to the
documentation

*- no information on what data you actually intend to import*

Really?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import/Plan#Import_Data
"The data used for this import is are two datasets cleaned up by the
OSMCanada team one containing building outlines and the other address
points."
Seems descriptive enough to what we are importing to me. Addresses and
Building footprints.

*- no information on attribute and geometry processing*

Under risks and mitigation (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import/Plan#Risks),
says what will happen if a building exists what to do. Replace geometry
just replaces the way so by definition attributes are copied over.

*- no link to the processed data*

Please see:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import/Plan#Import_Data
there is in *bold:* *Data source site* which tells you where the processed
data can be accessed. Example for buildings (in Metcalfe(which is a part of
Ottawa))https://data.osmcanada.ca/13/2378/5252/ottawa-buildings.osm?area=350
and for the addresses:
https://data.osmcanada.ca/13/2378/5252/ottawa-address.osm

*And since the introductory paragraph on that page indicates there are
organizations involved in the planning of this (Stats Canada and City of
Ottawa) it would be important to know who of those involved in the import
is acting in a professional capacity for one of these organizations and
what their interest is in the matter.*

I can add points of contact to the documentation

*If this represents the current state of preparation the planned two weeks
time until starting the import seems unrealistic.  You need to complete
your plans and preparation to a point where they can be properly assessed
before you can ask for a review here and then you need to allocate
sufficient time afterwards for people to review and to make adjustments
based on the results.*
If you are just going to skim over documentation, what is the point of
creating it?

外に遊びに行こう!