[Imports] [Talk-ca] [Import] Ottawa Buildings & Addresses [Statistics Canada project]

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Oct 20 11:40:57 UTC 2016

On Thursday 20 October 2016, James wrote:
> If you really need source data it will be available when the
> goverment makes up their mind where to host it. If you need it we
> have it in GeoJSON format here:
> https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/addxy.com/ottawa-buildings.geojson

That is certainly not the source data, it looks like a simple geojson
version of the OSM files.

> Original file shouldn't matter anyways as it's full of errors to
> begin with.

As with the addresses the point is to assess the conversion process and
the quality and suitability of the original data.  If you have fixed
errors in this data this should be documented and reviewed as part of
the import review.  What especially matters is the original metadata
and specifications, like for example what a building is - something
like a loading ramp/platform for example is not a building or part of a
building in OSM but it might be in the source data set - which then
would require special consideration.

> As for addresses we have used a set of internal tools(available on
> github) to rename and de-retard the original shape file like:
> https://github.com/osmottawa/etl2osm
> I also have a .net application at work that can do the same
> processing.

Overall this seems to work fine but it fails with some names like:

St-Germain Crescent
St-Emmanuel Terrace
(unless this is the way it is written on the street signs of course)

Des Forets Avenue
Jeanne-d'Arc Boul. N. Boulevard North

There are discrepancies between the street names in the address nodes
and the road names in OSM by the way, mostly due to wrong names in OSM
(probably due to bad previous imports).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/