[Imports] [Talk-ca] [Import] Ottawa Buildings & Addresses [Statistics Canada project]

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:00:38 UTC 2016

Please note my comments/concerns on the process here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import/Plan

copied below —

    Initial Comments on Plan

It would be helpful if the plan were structured more like the Los
Angeles, California/Buildings Import
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Los_Angeles,_California/Buildings_Import>
documentation. While it's not perfect (relying too much on off-OSM
resource like github), it does break up the documentation into helpful
sections.

      Commitment to follow the rules

Please ensure that any documentation contains a commitment to follow the
Import/Guidelines
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines> and Automated
Edits code of conduct
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct>.
These are non-negotiable parts of participation in OSM imports. The
Ottawa import very definitely falls under the definition of an Automated
Edit.

As previous activities have been flagged by the Data working group
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Data_working_group>, it should be
assumed that every edit will now be watched and critiqued from afar.

      Licence

While it is generally considered that OGL-CA is acceptable to OSM, the
lingering third-party waiver issue is troubling. As the City of Ottawa
almost certainly relied on third parties to collect and correct the
data, what efforts have the importers made to ensure that OSMF would not
face legal claims if a third party could prove that their proprietary
data was mixed in with the import?

Please document the “considerable effort and research [that] was made to
ensure the licensing was correct”.

      Data permission

Please note that the Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import/Permission
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import/Permission>
link refers to incompatible data. You may wish to seek updated
permissions. All imports pre-dating the licence change (mid September
2016)
<https://www.mail-archive.com/talk-ca@openstreetmap.org/msg07218.html>
should be reverted, as they were done without following the import rules.

      Data availability

Please post a link to the original outline data and licence file. I
can't support an import of data that we can't inspect.

      Data schema

Please indicate how you will map the fields from the source data to OSM
tags. This is a very important part of the process, as it allows users
with import experience to make helpful suggestions.

      Data quality

If you wish to delete existing buildings, please prove that the city's
data is better. We've run into this problem before in Canada:
municipalities want to work with us, but only if we overwrite community
data with municipal GIS data. We couldn't accept that, as their data is
never better in all ways.

      Data deletion

While you will likely be able to show that some imported outlines are
more accurate than existing tracings, please don't delete/overwrite
community contributions. Also, under *no* circumstances delete anything
other than bad building outlines or erroneous address points. The
reverted import deleted Address Interpolation
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Using_interpolation> ways
(example: Way History: 69590585
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/69590585/history>) that other OSM
users rely upon.

      Process comments

  *

    The three stage “Import Buildings/Import Addresses/Merge Addresses”
    process appears cumbersome. Could the import and merge stages be
    combined offsite, rather than adding lots of edit history?

  *

    What steps are you taking to avoid address point duplication? Other
    municipal imports may have addressed this and have tools available
    to help.

  *

    Is it correct to assume that address points outside a building can
    be moved over a building?

      OSMCanada

I'm unfamiliar with this term. Who are OSMCanada? Do they claim special
standing? I do hope that no representations have been made to the City
of Ottawa or Statistics Canada that “OSMCanada” have authority to import
data or speak for OSM process beyond being who we all are: just some
people who happen to contribute to OSM.

      How can we help?

The Ottawa/Gatineau import pilot shows great potential. With wider
community discussion, it could be a paragon of OSM/Government
interaction. How can we help move this process along after community
concerns are addressed? --Scruss
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Scruss> (talk
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User_talk:Scruss>) 04:23, 20
October 2016 (UTC)