[Imports] [Talk-ca] [Import] Ottawa Buildings & Addresses [Statistics Canada project]

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 03:34:46 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-21 02:06 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Actually... I don't think this should be requirement. Import
> guidelines are not a holy text, people should follow them, but...
> what is next. Should they also include a poem explaining how
> import guidelines are great and make openstreetmap more useful?

Yes, of course - but only in sonnet or Learian limerick form. Naturally,
haiku and lanterns are _right out_ for reasons I'm sure I don't need to
explain … :)

The reason I put that in there was because the folks involved in the
Ottawa import had carried out several imports without community approval
and had them reverted. The import guidelines — though a little
officious⁺ — at least protect contributors' valuable contributions if
followed.

> While you may find it troubling, requiring such waivers is going to
> make imports impossible. (And openstreetmap useless).

I'm not the one requiring it: OGL has it, and it causes problems:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/openstreetmap/TayHcj3sYaw/SRN1sn4LAgAJ

> So you suggest we keep less accurate data in openstreetmap,
> because...?

Without being able to see the data, who is to say the replacement data
is more accurate?

cheers,
 Stewart

⁺: “Don't get officious. You're not yourself when you're officious —
that is the curse of a government job.” — Harold & Maude