[Imports] [Talk-us] Dakota County, MN Building Import

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Apr 7 08:01:58 UTC 2017

The problem is that "open data" is a vague term, so it doesn't really
have a strong legal meaning, and copyright can be tricky/

The problem is their "attribution" requirement. Nothing wrong with that
in principle, OSM has an attribution requirement! It depends what sort
of attribution they want/require. We cannot give the county attribution
on every map that uses OSM, that would be too impractical (since then
we'd have to attribute thousands of other groups on every map image!)

You should contact them, and talk to them. Tell them about OSM. Ask them
if they are OK with the attribution being on this page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors If so, then that
copyright licence issue goes away.

People from OSM-US will probably be able to help. They can give advice
on the best wording to use, they can give examples of other US
cities/counties which have done similar things. Nothing scares some
officials away like thinking they are the first person to make a big
decision. Giving them examples of other places which have no problem
with the OSM attriubution can be very comforting for some.

There's a good chance they are totally OK with this, and intend this
with their statement, but they might not be totally aware of it. Laws
are tricky things!

This is similar to the attribution part of the CC-BY licences.