[Imports] RFC for City of Basel Suburb Import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 05:22:19 UTC 2017

Hi, Johannes:

Thank you for this work.

I have just small questions about the import.

I am not swiss, so I am not going to doubt that suburbs don't have
administrative significance, as you say in the wiki. But a bit further
down in the wiki you say "We will not import the neighborhoods
("Wohnbezirke"), as some of their names are not familiar to the general
public, but seem to exist for administrative statistical purposes only."

So my understanding is that neighborhoods have some administrative use,
and so I find it a bit strange that suburbs, that are higher level than
neighborhoods, don't have any administrative interest (not even
statistical).

Also, in the boundary=administrative wiki [1] it gives admin_level=10
for neighborhoods in Switzerland, so it might be admin_level=9 or so
according to the wiki?

In case of continuing with that tagging, I guess the suburb segments
should have a boundary=suburb tag (they come with no tags in the osm
file you share).

boundary=suburb, as a new tag, should be documented in the OSM wiki, in
case it's finally decided to continue with that tagging schema.

Cheers, and have an excellent end of the year,

Rafael.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative