[Imports] Sitka, AK Buildings Import

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Jan 6 20:54:04 UTC 2017

On Friday 06 January 2017, Joshua Houston wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been about 2 weeks since I proposed the Sitka, AK buildings
> import https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sitka,_AK/Buildings_Import
> and added it to the import catalogue.
>
> There seems to be no objection. Some concerns were amenity attributes
> and history, I've gone through and re-added the amenity attributes.
> As far as history, I will retain history of the majority of buildings
> as I undertake the import, rather than deleting all buildings and
> uploading my new ones. I will be using the Replace Geometry tool in
> the utilsplugin2.
>
> May I have the approval to begin the import?

You do not need approval since there is no authority that could give it
to you.  The requirement is only to discuss this with interested
parties before you start.

Since there was relatively little feedback so far i had a look and it
seems the data itself looks relatively good.  You procedure however is
not really as it should be:

* when there are already buildings mapped you should not just delete
them and add the new ones but replace the geometries (JOSM has a
function for that).  This way you keep the history of the objects.
* you plan to add quite a few buildings with additional attributes where
there are already POI nodes at the moment which would - if you do it as
planned - lead to duplicate features - like:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2461138638

for which your buildings.osm contains a building with matching
attributes.

Since the total data volume is fairly small and most of the buildings
are new i would recommend to do this manually, i.e. not delete the
existing buildings all at once but go through the city block by block,
add the missing buildings and replace the geometries of those which
already exist while at the same time de-duplicating the POIs.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/