[Imports] Facebook's AI-Assisted Road Tracing for OSM

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Mar 16 12:57:06 UTC 2017

On 16.03.2017 13:15, Elliott Plack wrote:
> Lots of negativity here. I'm all for this import. I like the fact a
> major American tech company is willing to pour resources into an open
> source project. All this data benefits FB but rather than hoarding it in
> their own map, they're opting to put it on OSM.

I think some of the negativity is because Facebook did an (undiscussed)
import like this in Egypt last year, which was reverted for being more
wrong than right (and not being discussed?). The wiki page for this
import was created about a month ago, and Facebook started doing the
import a few days later, before any email to the list, stopping after
that was pointed out.

If you gonna go against community norms, you're gonna ruffle some feathers.