[Imports] Facebook's AI-Assisted Road Tracing for OSM

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Mar 16 23:09:29 UTC 2017

On Thursday 16 March 2017, Kate Chapman wrote:

> 2. There is not a requirement to share all the source code used to
> create data either. Nor for the imports. Previously people have used
> all kinds of scripts to perform imports. Some people use ArcGIS to
> perform imports. We haven't required they open-source that software.
> We can't do it specifically for this case either. Many of us in OSM
> are fans of open-source, but the ethos of OpenStreetMap is more than
> anything open data.

It has been common practice with past imports that either the process to
produce the data or the data itself has been accessible during import
consultation in full.  I see no reason to derivate from this practice
here.

To be frank - I don't think it is significant if we can demand for the
imagery to be made available or not.  This is an import review process
and i think it would be better if the images were available - both for
OSM and for Facebook - so i suggest it.  Not doing so because we can't
demand this from them is a thought that never crossed my mind.  But
ultimately it is their money obviously.

And given the fact that many mistakes have been made by Facebook in this
project including an undiscussed import of considerable size i also
don't think reactions here have been overly demanding or unreasonable
otherwise.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/