[Imports] Facebook's AI-Assisted Road Tracing for OSM

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Mar 17 13:28:38 UTC 2017

Hi,

Yes, we must treat Facebook the same as all others. We ask importers to
show all the data. FB have shown part of the data. If they want to
import lots of data for Thailand, then they could show all of that data
for review.

The Automated Edits & Imports guidelines do call for documentation of
the algorithms/source code. I think there are ~3 processing steps. The
computer vision code, the custom iD editor (w/ validator), and (maybe)
some server side processing/"internal processes". Many places bugs could
creep in. With many eyes, we can find bugs and possibly help make it better.

 From my reading, you should show the data or the code. Yes, we don't
ask for ArcGIS to be open source, but in that case one provides the data.

:)

Rory

P.S.: I suggested sharing the imagery because OSM has 2 main global
imagery source (Mapbox & Bing). It would be great to have a third. :)