[Imports] Importing fuel stations in UK and future similar imports

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Thu May 11 15:39:40 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

Together with the NavAds company, we plan to import a thousand Shell fuel stations to the United Kingdom. The source is official, which means, Shell company specifically shared the dataset to put them on maps. Do you have any objections or questions?

The import is done with the OSM Conflator script. It matches dataset points to all amenity=fuel nodes and polygons inside a 50 meter radius. If found, the object is not moved, but tags are updated from the dataset. The object gets correct opening hours, uniform brand and operator tags, and so on. If there is no fuel station in OSM there, it is created as a node.

Check out the resulting visualization here: http://bl.ocks.org/d/70742fe51e281cb2cd5a80b8eb1e8e11 (markers are clickable; blue means modified object, green — new one). Can you find anything wrong that we can fix?

You might prefer opening http://bl.ocks.org/anonymous/raw/70742fe51e281cb2cd5a80b8eb1e8e11/map.geojson in http://geojson.io or iD editor to see the data on top of a satellite imagery layer.

Every object is given a "ref:navads_shell" tag with an identifier, which will later be used for updating the data.

After this import there will be others of similar nature and quality. Uploading will be done with a dedicated account (not created yet). The NavAds company specializes in putting businesses on maps, and we are helping them to include OpenStreetMap in their choice of target maps. I hope you are okay with this.

Ilya