[Imports] Birmingham City Council tree import

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Fri May 19 21:19:09 UTC 2017

Hi,

Am 12.05.2017 um 14:29 schrieb Brian Prangle:
>    - 'site_name' key which contains the street name written in all
>    capitals. Did this need importing, and if so, did it have to be in
>    capitals? *Enables the average joe/jane to query data by street name. Is
>    the use of capitals a problem apart from being ugly? Maybe searches are
>    case-sensitive? The downoaded dateset used for import has been edited so
>    that this field is "Properly Cased" so any new imports won't be affected.
>    Can also bulk edit existing imported data*

Why do you add the street name if the street is already mapped in OSM?
The street (name) can be found usual spatial queries (in PostGIS
ST_Buffer, ST_Intersect etc.). Even Overpass API offers a few spatial
queries. Who will care to update the street names of the trees if the
name of the street is changed? I don't think that an average mapper who
updates a street name will mind to change all the trees along that
street. He might just update addr:street=* of all buildings.

>    - 'usrn' appears to be an identifier (Unique Street Reference Number
>    <https://data.gov.uk/dataset/national-address-gazetteer>). The purpose
>    for this should be documented. Perhaps local_ref or ref:usrn should have
>    been used. *usrn is indeed Unique Street Reference No. Its purpose is
>    documented in the link and is a national standard for referencing streets.*

Please do not (ab)use local_ref=* for that purpose. local_ref=* is used
on stop positions to indicate the platform/track number. It was
originally introduced by the Naptan import but it is now also used in
other European countries. If a foreign key is really really necessary
and unavoidable, use a prefixed key like
birmingham_tree_import:foobar_ref=* instead (see Import Guideline).

Best regards

Michael