[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Vincent Frison vincent.frison at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 10:25:36 UTC 2017

> On 31.10.2017 22:52, Vincent Frison wrote:
> > The data sources are Digital Elevation Models (terrain + surface) which
> > are available on the open data portal of the city of Montpellier.
>
> For my 3D rendering projects, I'd love more building height data. But
> the fact that this data source is ODbL-licensed (according to your wiki
> page) makes importing it a bad idea.
>
> While the re-licensing option in the Contributor Terms surely won't be
> used anytime soon, it's still extremely valuable for future-proofing
> OSM. It gives us the ability to adapt to a changing legal environment,
> if that becomes necessary. Importing OdbL-only data undermines this
> ability.
>
> In the past, government data sources have sometimes granted an explicit
> permission to use their data for contributing to OSM, not limited to a
> particular license. Is there any chance for such an solution in
> Montpellier?

I must admit that I do not understand much.

I thought importing data that was already under ODbL was the perfect case
since it is the license of OSM.

I have already imported
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Paris,_France/Buildings_Heights_Import> 2
years ago the height of the buildings of Paris which were also under ODbL
 license.

I do not understand the problem for a possible re-licensing that would
become impossible because of an ODbL import... while the entire OSM DB is
itself in ODbL ! In short I am completely confused :)

Otherwise I could ask an explicit permission to people who are behind the
open data portal of Montpellier. But what should I ask them exactly?

Thanks, Vincent.