[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Andrea Musuruane musuruan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 17:56:45 UTC 2017

Hi Micheal,

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Michael Reichert <osm-ml at michreichert.de>
wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> Am 01.11.2017 um 11:25 schrieb Vincent Frison:
> > I must admit that I do not understand much.
> >
> > I thought importing data that was already under ODbL was the perfect case
> > since it is the license of OSM.
> >
> > I have already imported
> > <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Paris,_France/
> Buildings_Heights_Import> 2
> > years ago the height of the buildings of Paris which were also under ODbL
> >  license.
> >
> > I do not understand the problem for a possible re-licensing that would
> > become impossible because of an ODbL import... while the entire OSM DB is
> > itself in ODbL ! In short I am completely confused :)
>
> The OSM Foundation can change the license under which OpenStreetMap data
> is distributed. A 2/3 majority vote of the active contributors is
> necessary. Even if you voted against such a license change, the data you
> uploaded will be distributed under the new license because you agreed to
> the Contributor Terms when either joined them or during the last license
> change. If we import third-party data which is not licensed under the
> OSM Contributor Terms, we have to run the Redaction Bot on the import if
> the license of the source is incompatible with the new license.
>
> You can read the OSM Contributor Terms at
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Contributor_Terms

What you says applies to every import not PD, CC0 or PDDL licensed, as
stated here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/ODbL_Compatibility

<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/ODbL_Compatibility>
I can't see why Vincent's proposed import is different from other imports
we already did in the past (ODbL, CC-BY or OGL licensed).

Either we deal with each import with current rules or we forbid every
import whose data is not PD, CC0 or PDDL licensed.

Regards,

Andrea