[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 09:35:44 UTC 2017

> By asking the copyright owner to give OSM the right to re-license
> their data as OSM sees fit, you're effectively asking them to release
> it into the public domain.

no, this would only be true if OSM would change its license to PD, which is
very unlikely.

> By itself, this is a huge ask. "Explicit
> authorization" isn't a license, and there must be a written license,
> so we must be specific here.

it is a license (one party grants specific rights to another party).

> Working out derived works in a GIS seems to be a legal minefield in
> itself - if you use ways which are imported from an ODbL-only source
> to help align your own mapping, are you creating a derived work?

if you can't do your mapping without the ODbL source: likely yes

> My impression is that any opportunity for a relicensing event as
> alluded to by the Contributor Terms has long since passed.

I agree, although it might be different if you look at specific regions and
not globally.

> I'm not sure if this even matters, though. The License FAQ [3] does
> express reservations about importing data which could be removed by a
> future license change. But we're talking about *building heights* here
> - it would be simple to clearly identify the source of this data, and
> it's highly unlikely that there would be any derived works created
> from building heights. It's probably one of the most independent
> pieces of data you could possibly import into OSM.

good point, well unless you organize the buildings and building parts
according to this dataset.

Cheers,
Martin