[Imports] Uploading sidewalks in San Jose, California, US

Vivek Bansal 3vivekb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 07:14:57 UTC 2017

Hi Michael,

First off thanks for noticing our work with the ongoing import and also
contributing to intersections!  We are one step closer to our goal of a
working pedestrian network for our area!  I estimate you’ve completed about
2 of the 575 total task squares with your efforts.  Thus (6 min)/task *575
(tasks) /60 (minutes/hour) = 57 hours of work ahead of us :)

We are having a mapathon this Sundayin the spirit of #osmgeoweek.  You and
all are welcome to participate in sunny San Jose or help import/validate
from afar (9:30am-3:30pm PST).  We hope to finish importing the sidewalks
then.  So far we have about 65% imported (375 of 575) with 18% validated.
After which we will finish documenting our tagging scheme and focus on
intersections with the tasking manager in a systematic efficient fashion
(right now it’d be a total mess to just stop the import!  How would we know
the areas to fix?  And then start an import again? and stop each time to do
intersections? So confused.).

While sidewalks as separate ways seem to be relatively established, it
seems how to best tag crossing is an ongoing discussion.  We want to figure
out the way to balance speed at accomplishing our tasks as well as making
it most useful for the future.  We are thinking highway=footway +
footway=crossing, and then crossing=marked or crossing=unmarked.  Nick and
others feel like uncontrolled is not very specific (what does uncontrolled
even mean?  if it’s marked but uncontrolled?  Unmarked probably always
means uncontrolled, and then marked without any other tags would also mean
uncontrolled? ).  And then making sure to have crossing on the intersecting
node with the road, and if possible a node at where the sidewalk meets the
road for future kerb tags.  After this base is down and the network is
functional, the traffic_signals and other tags can be added properly.

All the best,

Vivek Bansal