[Imports] One user, many imports, many accounts?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Nov 14 19:43:16 UTC 2017

I use just one import accounts which I admit that I do forget to use from
time to time. Because JOSM doesn't make the username noticeable, I often
use my import account when I'm not working on an import.  I do not see a
need for separate accounts for different imports.

Since the Tasking Manager became available for doing imports, it is the
only way I participate in or create an import. The main reason is that the
importer has to look at the area they are working in unlike a bulk upload.
While it is technically an import, it also has amount of manual effort to
help improve the quality of the import. A side benefit is that the tasking
manager adds hashtags to the changeset comment. Those hashtags are probably
better indicators of what to revert than the username.

I'd recommend that a unique changeset comment is all that is needed, at
least for imports using the Tasking Manager.

Clifford

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Michael Reichert <osm-ml at michreichert.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> from time to time I remind users participating in imports to use a
> dedicated account for their participation. [1] A Canadian asked me
> yesterday if a user who participates in multiple imports needs one
> account per import or if one account for all imports is sufficient. [2]
>
> I think that a user only has to create one account for all imports if it
> is possible to distinguish independent imports (good and meaningful
> changeset comments!). The main idea behind this requirement is that if
> anything is wrong the import (e.g. technical or legal issues), anyone
> (including the mapper himself) can revert the import with less
> collateral damage.
>
> What are your opinions?
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael
>

> [1] I don't revert imports just because they were uploaded with the
> wrong account. Sometimes users accidentially use the wrong account. This
> happens even to me. In other cases users are not aware that this
> requirement exists (it is hidden in the guideline).
> [2] The personal message was a response to a changeset comment by me.
>
> --

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch