[Imports] Uploading sidewalks in San Jose, California, US

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Sun Oct 15 22:08:41 UTC 2017

Hi Vivek et.al.,

Am 20.09.2017 um 09:20 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> On 19.09.2017 21:09, Vivek Bansal wrote:
>> The Wiki:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Santa_Clara_County,_California/San_Jose_Sidewalk_Import
>
> Let me try to understand this better. The wiki page says
>
> "We recognize we could be creating sidewalk islands since we aren't
> dealing with crossings or connecting the sidewalks to streets but most
> routing software doesn't use sidewalks and typically uses left/right
> tags. Regardless, adding sidewalks will eventually make things better."
>
> At the same time you are talking about the "pedestrian network" and
> "fundamental infrastructure mapping". But it isn't a network if it isn't
> connected, is it? You must be mapping zebra (and other) crossings too,
> so that actual pedestrian routes can be computed, or else the use of the
> data you're adding would be limited to walking between places on the
> same block of houses?
>
> Please confirm that your process will not be limited to "uploading"
> sidewalks but also ensuring they are properly connected to what's there
> on OSM already, and thereby (through crossings etc.), also to each
> other. Otherwise what you are doing is nothing better than MS Paint for
> maps - or potentially worse, since a pedestrian routing engine that
> *today*, because of the lack of sidewalks, snaps start and destination
> to the nearest road and leads the pedestrian along that, might choose to
> snap to a sidewalk instead and be caught on a routing island.

I seems that you did not understand correctly what Frederik wanted to
tell you.

If you upload sidewalks as separate ways, they must be connected with
the existing network in the same changeset which uploads them.
Unfortunately, the data you uploaded already is not connected to the
remaining network at all. Please fix these thousands of routing islands
and dead-ends within the next days or revert your import. Please pause
your import and get more familiar with OSM before you continue.

OpenStreetMap intends to be a routeable data set. Lots of users fetch
data updates for routing every day, every week or every month and rely
on us. If you upload broken data, their routing software will return low
quality results until the next update.
Example of a result which harms the reputation of OSM:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_foot&route=37.31370%2C-121.75710%3B37.31290%2C-121.75690

Best regards

Michael