[Imports] Facebook AI-Assisted Road Tracing – wiki page changed silently, missing source code

OSM @ Facebook osm at fb.com
Thu Oct 19 17:20:52 UTC 2017

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your message. I really appreciate the time you have taken to look into our process and edits. You are correct that we did edit our wiki, which we have done multiple times since we posted to reflect changes in the process, team and sometimes to clarify things when we get questions. As I understand, wiki's are living documents for those exact reasons.

While I do understand adding sources to objects instead changesets is an outdated method for some, there are community members who still prefer it. We are almost half way completed with Thailand and have added 77 000 ways already. We also spent two months sharing samples along with me traveling to Thailand to meet the community. This was not an issue for the Thailand community. Because this is a new way of adding data, my goal is to be as transparent as possible and knowing exactly which way has been generated by us helps. We can also quickly resolve any issues raised by doing this. If more people feel this way I am happy to change.

As for sharing code for tooling, my small team is working very hard to get it out soon. We are taking extensive measures to make sure it's done right, but I hope you can understand the complexity behind releasing code and be patient with us.

Thank you again! As always you can reach me or my team via these posts or e-mail osm at fb.com. Please forgive any delays in response as I will be travelling to State of the Map US.

Best,
Drishtie