[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue Oct 31 22:17:58 UTC 2017

On 31.10.2017 22:52, Vincent Frison wrote:
> The data sources are Digital Elevation Models (terrain + surface) which
> are available on the open data portal of the city of Montpellier.

For my 3D rendering projects, I'd love more building height data. But
the fact that this data source is ODbL-licensed (according to your wiki
page) makes importing it a bad idea.

While the re-licensing option in the Contributor Terms surely won't be
used anytime soon, it's still extremely valuable for future-proofing
OSM. It gives us the ability to adapt to a changing legal environment,
if that becomes necessary. Importing OdbL-only data undermines this ability.

In the past, government data sources have sometimes granted an explicit
permission to use their data for contributing to OSM, not limited to a
particular license. Is there any chance for such an solution in Montpellier?