[Imports] Importing Kerala, India road network from Facebook's ML generated data

Naveen Francis naveenpf at wikimedia.in
Fri Aug 31 18:28:27 UTC 2018

*Hello Christoph, Thank you for your feedback. We've considered your notes
and here are our responses.As Blake mentioned, I on behalf the local
community reached out to Facebook via a public Tweet[1]. Even though India
was not on their mapping plan it seemed the team ran their models to
produce road data over the weekend for Kerala and released it quickly with
the caution to not directly upload until reviewed.Positional accuracyWe're
aware of this issue, but of course, this is always a tradeoff with using
satellite imagery where we lack GPS traces. In the context of the current
disaster response, we believe the value of having these roads on the map
outweighs the concern. I’m sure the editors at Facebook understand the
complexity since they completed mapping an entire country. Geometry
dataWe've discussed this with Facebook and we're comfortable that the
conflation process they will be going through — combined with our
post-import validation — will be able to address these issues adequately if
they are not. However we are confident the editing team at Facebook will
have great quality.As we made clear in the import wiki page, the raw data
posted will go through Facebook's conflation process, using their
specialized tools before contribution to OSM, and will *not* go in in raw
form. We are grateful to them for offering their support in this process.In
the future, we hope to be able to do this step ourselves, once we have
Facebook's open source iD fork running locally, but unfortunately, we're
not able to do this under present conditions. You can see the video posted
on their wiki -
https://fb-public.box.com/s/rxzu2p9aki560jf6lre3wlqw1cenplrr
<https://fb-public.box.com/s/rxzu2p9aki560jf6lre3wlqw1cenplrr>.TaggingRoad
types are always corrected manually during the import and we also discussed
the community would be able to verify this easily once the roads are
in.“Overall my assessment of this is that the work required to bring the
data shown to a level of quality similar to good quality manual mapping is
probably similar - if not larger - than mapping the roads manually.”Thank
you for your assessment, however in light of the support offered by
Facebook we disagree. We believe it would take much more time and effort to
map all these roads manually, and we are grateful for the help to speed up
this work during a disaster.“Making such approval contingent on training
and hiring locals to perform the work could be a useful approach on several
levels”We appreciate your concern and we do hope to be able to perform the
initial import ourselves in the future. Facebook has already offered to
train us on their workflows with their open source iD version (thank you!).
We will also be validating a final validation pass following the Facebook
team's initial import. So we have no concerns about being excluded from
this workflow and appreciate Facebook's support.In Kerala, already National
Highways and State Highways are tagged and wikidatafied. [2][3].We use OSM
directly to display the highway network in english and malayalam Wikipedia.
We plan to tag all the Major District Roads with proper tags
further.[4]Lastly, the local OSM community in India is highly competent and
has been mapping for years. While we appreciate the free advice we believe
we are able to see the needs of our community and make decision
accordingly.We look forward to more collaboration across the local
communities, Tech companies and humanitarian sector since we all have the
same goal of improving the World Map. :) Thanks,*

*naveenpf 1. https://twitter.com/Drish_T/status/1031285152440180736
<https://twitter.com/Drish_T/status/1031285152440180736>2.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_Highway_(Kerala)
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_Highway_(Kerala)>3.