[Imports] Bing Building Import

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 13:12:21 UTC 2018

IMO building imports with community mapper buy-in increase involvement by
removing mapping tedium and highlighting other problems like missing roads
without needed to pore over imagery.

MS has a thorough third-party notice for the tool used to create the
buildings:
https://github.com/Microsoft/CNTK/blob/master/ThirdPartyNotices.md via
https://blogs.bing.com/maps/2018-06/microsoft-releases-125-million-building-footprints-in-the-us-as-open-data/

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 5:56 AM Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 03.07.2018 11:37, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> > Without having reliable data on how often these things
> > do happen (and how this varies between different geographic settings)
> > you would essentially be doing a blind import.
>
> Unless, of course, the data is not simply shoved into OSM state by
> state, but split up into user reviewable chunks so that human mappers
> can review and upload the import for their region.
>
> Large imports are often detrimental to community building, but if you
> resist the temptation of simply having one guy run the import for a
> whole state, and instead say "hey, Arizona is mostly done but we're
> still looking for someone from counties X, Y, and Z to run the import
> there", you *might* even manage to get some people "take ownership" who
> otherwise would only have watched from the side.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --

Elliott Plack