[Imports] Bing Building Import

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:31:29 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 7:39 AM, Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 4:19 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 3, 2018, at 03:55, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >
> >> ...Large imports are often detrimental to community building, ...
> >
> > Can you point to some data / research that backs this up?
>
> Hi Martijn,
>
> I believe this could be what Frederik was referring to:
>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2017-October/079116.html
>
> However, I encourage a close reading of the linked to study because as
> I recall it showed an increase in participation for PoI's and other
> mapping not related to the object types imported. Which would make
> sense, but it has been a while since I read the study closely.

Oh my goodness!   I read that study and thought it would die because it was
so bad. It is based on the  Modifiable_areal_unit_problem[1].   I map out
of Maricopa county that is 5/8 the size of Switzerland. If I add Yavapai
county I now have Switzerland covered with the addition of 256K people.
Somehow the ownership of Tiger data is should be just like European
countries.  You cannot make a county by county comparison like that study
did.  I am so happy that the author of the study does not run the census
department.  At least with the census tract and block system you can get a
fair look at population counts and needs.

The reason mappers have not increased in Maricopa county is that this time
of year all the visitors leave for cooler climates.  When the visitors are
here for the fall/winter/spring, they are not here to stay indoors and
map.   It is hard to get data into Arizona let alone having a few mappers
to tend to the data.  Montana has 1 million people.  Germany has 89 million
people.  It would be easy to get 70,000 mappers in Montana, if the
population matched Germany.  Moreover, there are wilderness spots that no
one lives in.  The whole of the US is approaching 60,000+ mappers.  It
would be nice for certain elements of the OSM community to move on from
this idea that just because Germany has the nice dense population and can
map their country, it does not mean that the rest of the world can use the
same experience.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modifiable_areal_unit_problem