[Imports] Bing Building Import

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Jul 3 16:17:16 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 9:00 AM Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

> You can already see people opening up with a full barrage of preemptive
> smoke grenades based on the mere hint of you there might be substantial
> data to back up the reasoning on which Frederik based his suggestion
> for a certain approach to doing an import.  I don't think this is an
> approach you seriously want to support.

Christoph,
We've heard this argument before that imports do more damage than good.
While recent research does point that bad imports do impact the community,
good imports actually help the community. Abhishek Nagaraj presented his
finding [1] at the 2017 SOTM-US in Boulder. You can watch or read the
transcript if you are interested So can we please do away with the
assumption that all imports are bad and lets focus on the proposal at had
to import building in AZ?

Disclosure, Abhishek Nagaraj uses the Seattle Building and Address import
as an example of a good import. I was involved in that import. That import
has strengthened my belief that good imports can help build community.
Maybe its limited to just the US, but that's okay, because we are
discussing a US import.

[1] https://2017.stateofthemap.us/program/quasi-experimental-research.html

Best,
Clifford